Thursday, April 3, 2014

You Know I Am Coming Up On Race Weekend When...

It has been quite a while since I've pinned on a race number, but I am going to be doing just that this weekend.  I am running a marathon, but using it as a training run, not racing it.  Even though my intention is not to race, I can't help but still prepare this week like I would if I was going for a PR.  Which leads me to....

You Know I Am Coming Up On Race Weekend When:

I try to wear flats instead of heels so my calves get some rest.

I start picking out my running clothes for Saturday on Tuesday.
My race prep for the Nike Women's Marathon in 2007
I conveniently use the race as an excuse to take naps any chance I get.


I compulsively check the forecast every few hours just in case anything changes.
 
I can turn the direction of any conversation to running. (okay, I do that anyway)
 
I study the course map at length, know the distance between aid stations, and exactly what will be at each one.
 
I eat everything in sight saying ‘it’s okay – I have a marathon/50k/Ragnar relay this weekend!’
 
My house/apartment is picture perfect because I don’t want anything to go missing.
 
Whenever I look like I'm deep in concentration, I'm really just visualizing my race.
 
I actually stretch.
 
I have anxiety dreams that I wake up late, get lost on the way to the starting line, have to race through parking garages and alleyways but my legs can hardly move so I end up running on my hands, and can hardly even catch up to the back of the pack runners.
 
 
I must have just had an anxiety dream! :)

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment