Wednesday, June 3, 2015

National Running Day

I have consistently been running for 25 years now, and over time my relationship with running has changed countless times.  In stressful moments it’s my outlet, in the middle of winter it’s my enemy, on cool spring nights it’s my best friend. 

On this day, June 5, 2015, as I celebrate National Running Day, here are my top five reasons why I run right now.

5 – To be Social – to cover miles and chatter away about anything and everything – work, guys, ideas, frustrations, funny stories, it’s all fair game. 

4 – To be Alone – I still struggle with turning down invitations to do things when I’d rather be alone, but when I have a run scheduled, I feel very comfortable saying ‘Sorry, I’m doing an 11 miler that night!  My race is less than two weeks away and I want to be as prepared as possible.’  On those days I’ll often leave the iPod and gps watch at home and just go – wherever I want, at whatever pace I want, think about everything or nothing, and soak up the surroundings.  This is often times the fastest and most exhilarating way for me to regain my balance after a long day.  I’d probably be sitting in a jail cell somewhere if I didn’t do this on a regular basis….

3 – To Feel Alive – I love the feeling of not just occupying the space within my body, but being fully engaged in it!  I’m talking sore legs, winded, tight core from yoga the day before, skin feels on fire because it’s 80° out kind of engaged.  This skeleton, skin and muscle of ours goes with us everywhere we go for our entire lives, and to be able to run and feel like I’m shooting electricity through the whole thing and lighting up my mind in the process feels nothing short of AMAZING.  To me, that’s what life feels like.

2 – Adventure! - There’s something about running without intention of where you’re going to stumble across a great book store, coffee shop, beautiful house, or expansive park.  I love to run in new places rather than drive or bike because you feel interactive with the landscape. I say hi to everyone I see (and their dogs) and I LOVE that.  I’ve run into old friends, secret trails, amazing mountain views, moose, and protests to name a few, all because I set out on foot without a direction.  In just a month I’ll be having countless running adventures in Italy and I can’t wait to see where my feet and my faulty internal compass take me!

1 – Because I Can. - I am very aware that age will catch up with me at some point (if I am fortunate enough to live that long), and my long strides will turn into a shuffle.  My running shoes will be replaced with sensible support shoes. (Okay, maybe not actually.  I can see myself in Asics at 90!)  My strong shoulders will eventually weaken, and my sweat will come from walking up the stairs instead of bounding through the mountains.  Aging is inevitable, and running allows me to tap into my own fountain of youth,  run up the stairs two at a time, carry the 40 pound bag of dog food through Menards, help old ladies carry their groceries out to their car, and quickly dart across the road to beat the traffic light.  I embrace this agility and ability every. Single. Day.  Pushing my limits keeps me young, vibrant, inspiring and human.  And I will strive to do this until I no longer can. 

Happy National Running Day my friends.  Run short, run long, just run.  Because you can.  See you on the trail.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment