Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Benefits of a Runner's Mindset

It's been a little while since I have posted. My running is winding down to head into a rest cycle, and my work has gotten much more demanding - at a convenient time, really, since I don't need to be logging 75 mile weeks any time soon. 

This week I have logged 12+ hour work days every day so far, and while juggling responsibilities, answering phone calls, attending meetings, making decisions, completing projects, coaching, and trying to keep my staff happy, I came to realize something.  I was in the same mindset I have on race day.  When you toe the line for a race, especially a long distance race, anything can happen.  You can run out of food or water, you could get lost (on a trail race at least), you could cramp, fall and twist an ankle, get sick - anything.  My work days have been the same thing - I had no idea heading into the office Monday morning that my workload was about to more than double.  And instead of freaking out and whining about it, I quickly organized what had to be done, prioritized a working list of things I was responsible for, turned on the Latin pop music (my new favorite thing!) and got to work.  As things would come up through the day I was able to pretty easily shift gears to accommodate what was needed, respond to people quickly, and stayed late to accommodate a deadline.  From there I ran some errands, took my dog on a long walk, and am now writing this.  I'm still in race mode!

Do you have those days?  Where you look out at the tasks ahead of you (or the miles) and know that the tasks need to be done, and the miles need to be covered?  There's no sense in being emotional or overly anxious about it, just figure it out and get it done.  Right?  As long as these days have been, part of me really loves it.  I am thankful for my running mindset I've developed over the years and can naturally dial into it when I need to.  I know right now that my desk is at least partially cleaned off, my dog is tired and happy, my fridge is full and the laundry is done.  The fire that comes as a result of a runner's mind is a pretty amazing thing! 

"Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like the muscles of the body."
-Lynn Jennings

Work, run, work, then take a breath (and look at a postcard of Breckenridge) :)

1 comment:

  1. Runners tend to cope well with and excelling in anything. Or did they become runners, because they've always had a great work ethic?;)

    ReplyDelete