Sunday, October 6, 2013

Why Run?

There are a zillion reasons to run.  Health, stress relief, trying to get faster, lose weight, prove a point, social aspects, getting something off your bucket list....   The list could go on forever. In listening to a podcast on Trail Runner Nation yesterday I started really thinking about this.  At different stages of my life there have been different driving factors in what got me to lace up and get out the door.  Lately, I find that going for a run is my version of having a 'reset button'. 

On any given day I find myself being pulled in countless different directions, with my ultimate goal being to do the best I can in every facet of my life, and not get too bent out of shape over things I can't control.  It can be tough when a person hurts someone you care about, when someone overreacts and is unreasonable, when someone close to you makes decisions you don't agree with, but at the end of the day it's not my problem.  I can't control anything that other people do, I can't control their reactions, and I can't reason with someone that is unreasonable.  So instead I do the best I can to stay level headed, make the best decisions I can, and just try and understand where other people are coming from.  And running gets me to that place faster than anything else. 

I am headed out to do a trail run in a little bit and I can't wait.  There's something almost meditative about it.  Stresses fall away and the only things in your immediate world are the trail, the sounds of the stream running past, the fall colors permeating the canopy of the woods, squirrels frantically searching for the last few nuts they can find to get themselves ready for the winter. To me this feels like I've entered a bubble - no one knows exactly where I am, no one can call me, ask a question, or complain to me about something.  No one needs anything from me, so I'm free to dial into my own personal ground zero and just be thankful for the miles, the quiet, enjoy doing something positive for my mind and body, and know that when I'm done I can field all my different obligations from a place that is calm and mindful.  Everyone seems to have their own 'reset button', and running is definitely mine. 

1 comment:

  1. Well put, Tracey! Running is easier for me than meditation, because in meditation I am over flooded with all sorts of thoughts. During running, there is so much to pay attention to that I even forget about my own irritating thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete