Saturday, December 14, 2013

Grattitude for Running

If there is ever a time when you think about running a lot more than normal, it's when you're injured or you're sick.  And right now I'm sick.  I've been battling a cold for more than a week, and thanks to my new habit of keeping a running log, I clearly saw a pattern early on that on a day that I started feeling better I'd run, then feel way worse the next day.  So here I sit, on my couch with my mango orange juice, kleenex, warm Breckenridge sweatshirt, a movie and my laptop.  Most of my day has been spent in and out of naps, perusing Pinterest, texting and snapchatting with friends, and looking through my Twitter feed.  As I indulged in social media and putzed around my apartment I realized - I am surrounded by constant reminders of how running has positively impacted my life. 

For one thing, you can literally see how running has infiltrated my world. I have Christmas ornaments on my tree that are plastic runners, home made ornaments of certain races I've done, even a plastic water bottle ornament.  My tree skirt is a space blanket from the Chicago Marathon.  Photos on my refrigerator show a kids running club I created and ran for a summer, a pre-race picture of me with my brother.  I have more running shoes in my closet than any other kind of shoes.  I have more running related and racing shirts than anything other clothing.  I love wearing my digital watch with dress clothes if it matches.  I am almost always wearing my Tiffany necklace from the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco in 2007.
 
Out two dinner with two lovely women I've met through racing. 
(and of course I'm wearing my Tiffany necklace)
I also noticed running's impact on my life through the people I talked to today - athletes I have coached that are now in college, a friend from high school that ran with me on my middle school team, feeling inspired by facebook posts from a friend in my running club who always looks at the world with excitement and positivity.  My life is filled with people that I have met through running, and I am extremely grateful for that.  There's always someone to bounce ideas off of, get inspiration from, commiserate with, laugh with, and run with. 


Other ways running is an ingrained presence in my life is more subtle.  I stepped outside to take my dog out this evening and the first thought I had when I hit the fresh air is that it was a perfect night for a run - it was a 'warm' 23 degrees, no breeze, a fresh dusting of snow on the ground so you have a little traction.  It's also noticeable in how I operate in my regular day.  Instead of walking to take my garbage out, I will run.  If I'm at work early or after hours and I have to get something off the printer, I'll kick off my shoes and jog there and back instead.  To wake up during the work day I'll stand up and stretch at my desk instead of sitting to look at loan files.  If I am faced with a particularly scary or stressful situation, I get in my 'marathon mindset' and tell myself that if I can run multiple marathons an ultras successfully, I can get through any situation. 

Something I never really took notice of until lately, is the actual health benefits of my running.  Overall, I'm really healthy. I have a great BMI, I carry Dresden's huge bag of dog food through Menards by myself without getting winded, nurses always comment on how low my blood pressure is.  I'm thankful I have a passion that is good for me so I've never needed to try all that hard to be healthy, since it just came with the territory. 
 
The x factor health benefits resonate more with me though - it's helped me to be more confident. I was a painfully self conscious kid growing up, so to have running give me a way to feel powerful and effective did wonders for me.  There are lots of chances I've taken in my adult life that I really don't think I would have had the balls to attempt if it wasn't for the years of running and racing under my belt. 

And to me what is bigger than all of that is how my running has impacted other people.  I landed my coaching job because the head coach saw me running trails at the Arboretum and followed me to the parking lot.  That moment changed my life completely - my running wasn't just about me anymore. I was an example to young runners. It was a way to complete the circle by giving back to them and teaching them the foundation to healthy running and all that comes from it.  They make me want to be my best as a runner and a person so they see a good example of a woman who leads a healthy, balanced life. 

Then there is the fundraising.  Many races sponsor a charity so entry fees and raising extra money is often a component of racing.  I have personally helped raise more than $8,000 for great causes.  It's great to think about that kind of contribution since at the time I looked at my fundraising more as fun and a way to network with other people, but I suppose it is something to be proud of. 

As much as I'm ready for this cold to run its course, it's nice to think about the role running plays in my life.  I am glad I had the drive to follow my passion and keep pushing the envelope with it.  It's definitely had its hard times, but I'd rather ride out the ebbs and flows of running and feel alive than lead a life devoid of passion, purpose or chance.  Happy trails my dear running friends - I hope you can all take a moment and honor the runner in you and acknowledge the good that comes from it.  Every step makes you, and your world better.

No comments:

Post a Comment