Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Shoe Update : Ready To Change Our Relationship Status

When I wrote a few days ago I told you all about my sad departure with my beautiful hot pink Asics Nimbus (Nimbus's, Numbuses, Nimbi, Nimbusss... whatever - the plural of Nimbus).  I had begrudgingly traded them in for the Asics Cumulus.  I tried my first run with them this weekend, and I didn't get a block away before I knew I couldn't stand them.  I guess in dating terms it would be the equivalent of getting up and walking out before your drink even hits the table.  What can I say, when you know, you know.  And I knew I didn't like them at all.

I threw on my last pair of training shoes since there's still some life in them and cruised around in the snow for 5 miles while singing along to a play list of Christmas music, Don Omar, and John Mayer.  I was finalizing my list of other shoe options on Monday before heading to Movin Shoes when it dawned on me that I could just try the Nimbus in a size bigger.  Not sure why I didn't think of that before?  I've been an 8 1/2 for as long as I can remember, but if moving into a 9 allows me to stay in my long-term shoe relationship with the Nimbus, then I was all for it!

My pal Tom was working that day and quick to accommodate my request for my dream shoe in a 9.  He knew me well enough to forewarn me that I wouldn't like the color, but at that point I just wanted something that hugged my feet in all the right places and made me feel like I was running on air.  When I opened the box I did cringe for a moment, but at least they weren't dark blue.  (I don't know why, but I really dislike that color on anything but jeans.)  I put on one of the new shoes, and kept my old training shoe on the other foot so I could feel a direct comparison.  After just about two minutes on their treadmill I knew - It was the one.  No pressure on the bridge of my foot, I could cross my toes without straining to do it, and the heel felt great.  SOLD!

Tonight I finally pounded out a 5 miler on my treadmill to start breaking them in and it felt great! As you can see below, even my dog approves.  I am happy with my new relationship and am ready to make it official - I'm ready to call them 'the ones' for the next 3 months before I start to rotate them out for a newer version. 
Dresden giving me his seal of approval.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment