Monday, December 9, 2013

Full Body Cross Training Workout For You

For those of you that don’t know me personally, I also have a personal training background in addition to my running. I went through the certification programs at the Monkey Bar Gym here in Madison, where I learned a lot on writing workouts that are very challenging, don’t take up much space, use your own body weight for most things, and are incredibly time efficient. Here is a workout that I did last week that ROCKED. I had the good kind of soreness for a solid two days. Keep in mind, this is just what I did and the weights I used. Modify what you want, change reps, weight, whatever – it’s just a fun, but challenging full body workout. Have a great week my friends!

On a side note – when I write in the number reps, that means total. For example, I put 24 reps – meaning 12 on each side. For mountain climbers I did 100, meaning 50 on each leg.

I used a set of ten pound weights, five pound weights, and one kettlebell that weighed 12ish pounds.
I linked youtube videos to the exercises for those of you that aren't familiar with some of these.

Mountain Climbers (100)
Wide Leg Sit Ups (from P90X) (25)
Kettle Bell Swings (alternating hands) (16)
Plank Alts (14)
Toe Taps (100)
Weighted Lunges (24) (I used two ten pound weights)
Mason Twists (100)
Renegade Rows (12)  (I took it easier on this one with just two 5 pound weights)
Lying Leg Raises (25) (I do the version with legs straight, and don't let my feet touch the floor)
Kettle Bell Cleans (20)
High Boat Low Boat – One minute, changing positions every ten seconds.

This is high boat low boat - one my my favorite ab combinations

I went through this workout twice at the specified number of reps, and then went through a third time, only doing half the reps but not taking any rest inbetween.  It was a great full body workout that didn't take a ton of time. I ran an easy mile to warm up beforehand amd did some stretching after.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment