Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Choosing Who You Spend Time With - It Matters!


Welcome to week 4!  When I kicked off this blogging project I was estimating that I’d roll this out in 7 installments.  Now that I have been at this a few weeks, it’s more important for me to focus on giving you the most important pieces of changing your mindset, so I’m condensing this series to 5.  My purpose in sharing all this is to hopefully inspire at least some people to take even one nugget and at least try it out.  That’s it.  So I’m focusing on presenting the most powerful tools I have come across in working on having a proactive, powerful mindset in my life.  And today is a big one.  A big, fat, important, awesome, incredibly impactful one.  Are you ready for this?  Okay let’s go.  J

It’s time to think about your surroundings.  I’m not talking about the paint color on your walls, or the amount of natural light you have in your house.  I’m talking about your people surroundings.  Who do you elect to spend the most time with?  Friends? Family? A significant other?  Write down the 5 – 10 people that you spend the most time with.

Now think about whether you get a positive, or a negative charge from that person.  If you have someone that you find to be draining (you have less energy after spending time with them, they complain a lot, gossip, have a victim mentality), then put a minus sign next to their name.  On the flipside, are there people on your list that you get really excited to see? You have more energy after being with them?  They look at the positive side of things, and inspire you? Put a positive sign next to their name.    

Now let’s do an inventory – what does your population of +’s and –‘s look like?  If you’ve got more –‘s than +’s, that’s a problem.  Even one minus can be a problem. 

I’ve talked a lot in this series about your power to choose – we always have a choice.  This may come as a big surprise, but you have the power to choose who you spend time with! You may have a friend on your list with a minus sign next to their name, and you stay friends with them because you’ve been friends for so long.  Or maybe you’re in a relationship with that minus sign.  And you know what – you can choose to not be around them anymore!  It may sound harsh, but look at it this way – if you’re surrounded by –‘s that drain you, how does that impact you?  I’m willing to bet that if your list is filled with negative people, you my friend, may also be viewed as negative.  Sorry to break it to you. 

Jim Rohn is a very famous American entrepreneur, author and motivational speaker, and he said one of my favorite quotes about this.  “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” If your five people are negative, have a victim mentality, gossip, and don’t work toward any goals, it’s going to be hard as hell for you to succeed in those areas. 

A few years ago I took a personal inventory of those I considered my closest friends, and decided to do the uncomfortable and overhaul my friend group.  I wanted to be close to more people that had goals, worked towards being better versions of themselves, people that would run their day instead of letting their day run them.  I won’t lie – it was a hard process.  Really hard, but now I have this amazing group of people that light me up, inspire me to be better, challenge me to think differently, give back, and be impeccable in my word!  It is light years easier to succeed in living the kind of life I want to lead when I have a support system of people that value the same things.  It’s that simple. 

Personal Story Time!  Last year I really wanted to focus on forming more female friendships, so I signed up to go to a seminar that was sponsoredby Brava. It’s for women that were focused on both personal and career development.  That morning as I got ready to attend I was thinking about my desire to make more like-minded female friends, so I set the intention of going to this seminar, sitting next to people I didn’t know, and to talk to at least three different women.  I chose a seat in a section of the room I wouldn’t naturally pick, and before long a friendly seeming woman came and sat next to me.  As we listened to the speaker (Darcy Luoma) present, I noticed that the woman next to me seemed to have a similar sense of humor, and responded to the same material that resonated with me.  We were partners for a few of the exercises, and I knew I instantly liked her.  As the seminar wrapped up I sat there with a business card in my hand thinking ‘okay, how do I give this person my business card without it being weird?  Is this weird?  Do I just throw it at her and run off and hope she calls?  Or do I just say that I’m looking for more friends?  Is THAT weird???  In the end I turned to her and said ‘I’m always looking for like-minded people to talk about these kinds of topics with, can I give you my card?’  She happily accepted and gave me hers, and suggested we get together sometime to go to The Dream Bank.  I think that was about a year ago now, and I can say that the woman I met (Carly) is one of my favorite people and most inspiring friends! 
This is Carly and I with Darcy Luoma at Dream Bank!
There are countless ways to optimize your chances of meeting someone new that will complement your life and what you’re working towards.

Let’s say you have a goal to run a half marathon, and the closest five people in your life are very sedentary.  Seek out a beginners running group so you have people around you that help you towards your goal.

Or maybe you’re a young professional that’s starting out and you want to focus on moving up the ladder and learning as much as you can, but your friends are all complacent in their work and prefer to coast through.  You could look into joining a young professionals group (like the Rosenberry Society) and meet people through that.

It doesn’t have to be a harsh process of banishing long-time friends from your life just because they see the glass as half empty.  You can naturally displace these people from what I call your ‘first tier friends’ to ‘second tier friends’ by making a conscious effort to meet more people that are in alignment with your values. 

Some of you may be saying ‘but Tracey, some of my people are family members! I can’t just not see them anymore!’  I can understand that.  But there is something you can do there.  Set limits.  Maybe you normally go to a relative’s house for a holiday and stay for 6 hours, hating every second.  Instead, set the limit of only going for two.  Sure, some people may not like it, but you are allowed to make that choice!  This exercise is all about helping you set up your surroundings to help you be who you want to be.  If that’s a high enough priority to you, you will allow yourself to set some limits.

I also want to address your work environment.  Most of us spend a lot of time at work during any given week, and most likely you have a mix of co-workers that are –‘s and +’s.  You probably can’t go around and fire anyone you consider to be a -, but you can work on limiting those relationships too.  You don’t need to go to lunch with them, take breaks with them, or idly chit chat about the weekend with them if you feel that impacts you negatively.  Sure, as you pull back from those –‘s you may meet some resistance.  Remind yourself that you’re creating a better space for yourself to grow, and those –‘s can go on being –‘s around someone else. 

I hope this helps you to identify those people near you that could use the boot!  Here are a few resources for some added reinforcement if you’re interested.  This can be a really hard practice, but I can attest first-hand to how great it feels to have a network of people that lift you up, and not weigh you down. 

Jack Canfield


Podcast by Andrea Owen of Your Kickass Life – ‘How To Be An Amazing Friend + How To Manifest Your Tribe’


If you want any ideas from me on ways to meet people that are in alignment with what you’re looking for, just shoot me an email, I’d be happy to help you brainstorm! You can contact me at LevelUpCoaching1@gmail.com

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment