Saturday, September 21, 2013

Hitting The Trail

There's a beautiful Dane County Park on Highway 19 just outside of Madison that I decided would be the place that I get in touch with my running roots.  The park is almost 500 acres with seemingly endless trails.  There's a mix of well maintained, wide grassy trails (including a 2 mile loop around the lake) and many more technical trails that wind through the woods. 

I pulled in the parking lot and saw only one other car.  I wanted to run alone and have as little human interaction as possible, so this was perfect.  The first signs of fall were present - a few leaves were starting to change color, the breeze felt cool and crisp, and there was that fall smell.  You know what I mean, right?  The smell that reminds you of football, sweatshirts, and sleeping at night with your windows cracked open? It was perfect. 
Before I run trails I like to do a little agility work so my legs and joints are ready for the undulation and turns, so I turned up some Florence and the Machine on my car stereo and weaved through the parking lot doing my side skips, cariocas, backwards skips and high knees while acclimating to the serenity and possibility of the 500 acres that surrounded me. 

I turned off the stereo, and tuned out the rest of the world.  It was time to see if I could run like I was twelve.  I had a rough idea in mind of how long I wanted to be running for, but I wasn't married to the idea.  So I took off with no set route in mind.  I began my run on the smooth, grassy trail that ran near the edge of the lake and headed west.  The breeze was refreshing, the sounds of birds and occasional splashes from the lake were my soundtrack.  With each step I felt more free, and more invigorated.  If I wanted to stop and look at something, I stopped.  If I wanted to take a turn I had never noticed before, I turned.  It was amazingly liberating to run in a new place, and be incredibly impulsive.  It felt like an adventure! 

As the miles went by the way I looked at things kept changing. It was as if my scope of vision was getting broader and broader with each step.  I can get 'tunnel vision' in training. I am so focused on intensity and mileage that I could probably run right by John Legend without even noticing he was there.  It was refreshing to take it all in, look up from the ground, and really see what was around me.

The loop around the lake was wonderful for the five senses - the cool breeze, the sound of the water, the dew from the grass in the shady areas making my shoes wet.  It was wonderful.  I stopped and shot a short video to put in here so you could get a small taste of the beauty of this park. 
 



After the lake loop I ran into the core of the park - through the prairie and then into the woods to zigzag back and forth, climb he hills, smile at the squirrels racing around, and enjoy every second of where I was.  Each step in the woods brought me closer and closer to the root of my love for trail running.  I'm not sure if nature has this effect on everyone, but for me there's nothing but authenticity in it.  You don't have pressure to be anyone but who you are, you don't have to impress anyone, no one is judging you, and you can just let everything go. It reminds me of the scene in the movie 'What About Bob?' , when Bill Murray is prescribed to take a vacation from his problems.  That seems to happen naturally when you get on the trails!  In moments like these, running feels like an art form.  As if my feet are the paintbrushes and the trails are my canvas. 


        
I was able to run with freedom and excitement, and treat the entire run like it was an adventure - I didn't feel like it was a 'workout' at all!  I can't help but think I can take this experience and add it into my training for my 50K.  Everything is better when you make it fun - including training for a race. 

 
One of my favorite places in this park is on an overlook on the east side of the property.  There is a winding, mildly steep trail that leads you to a tiny chapel that was build in 1857.  You can go inside and see the religious statues and wall art, and there are two notebooks that people write in who visit. Some just sign their names, some write prayers, one entry I glanced at was a little girl writing to God in hopes that she can make it back to her country safely.  Puts things in perspective to say the least. 
 
Just beyond this chapel is the overlook I mentioned.  I spent some time standing there, soaking up the beauty and the quiet that was all around me.  I even took a moment to appreciate that awkward 12 year old I once was, and thank her for having the courage to get out of her comfort zone, try cross county, and set me up to be where I am at now in my relationship with running.  Taking this time to get back to the foundation of my running, and my drive to even lace up my shoes left me feeling invigorated and peaceful.  It was running in its most natural form for me. Here is one more video I took from the overlook so you can get a sense of what it's like up there.
 

 
Now is a perfect time of year for hikes, trail runs, picnics, or even just reading a book outside.  If you're interested in checking this place out here is a link to it.  It's just 2 miles off the beltline, north of Madison.
http://www.countyofdane.com/lwrd/parks/indian_lake.aspx
Happy trails my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment